This site has moved! Please visit the new blog at http://FullMoonsDaughter.com/blog

2.06.2009

My Complete Doula Services

What is a Doula?

"Doula" comes from ancient Greek, and means "a woman who serves women". Today, Doula is used to refer to a trained woman who can provide support during three different times of a woman's childbearing year. An Antepartum Doula supports the mother later in her pregnancy with pregnancy massage, meal planning, education and labor preparation. A Labor Doula provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and just after birth. A Postpartum Doula is there for mom and baby after delivery to help in whatever way best serves mom.


What Services and Experience do I Offer?

Antepartum Doula

As an Antepartum Doula, I help support mothers on bed rest, single or teen moms, women with severe morning sickness, emotional trauma or multiple children. As an Antepartum Doula I can provide informational, emotional, physical and practical support during a woman's pregnancy.

My ongoing academic and professional experience includes education at Birthingway College of Midwifery, training from Alma Birthing Center, and my own self-study.

Labor Doula

I am currently in the process of becoming a certified Labor Doula through Birthingway. I have attended extensive training through the school and now must attend 5 births in order to become certified. The mother and caregivers will need to fill out paperwork for the school evaluating my performance as a Labor Doula to help with this certification process.

As a Labor Doula I can assist with birth plans, birth art, pain coping techniques (massage and touch, positioning, breathing, meditation and visualization, vocalization, aromatherapy and healing energy techniques), pregnancy and postpartum diet and fitness designed to ease labor and recovery, Reiki healing, and creative expression and relationship / birth coaching. (Whatever works best for mom and family.)

Postpartum Doula

Currently, I work at Alma Midwifery Birth Center as a Postpartum Doula where I have received training to care for new families in their first 48 hours after birth. I have expanded this service beyond the birth center environment and into new families' homes. I provide lactation consulting, infant care techniques, meal planning and cooking, gentle yoga and exercise options, natural healing, light housekeeping, dog walking and nanny care.


What do I Charge?

I believe that all families should be able to afford Doula services and all Doulas should be able to pay their mortgages. Therefore I offer my services on a sliding scale, based on what each family can pay. I am happy to discuss pricing options and payment plans with each family.

Antepartum & Postpartum Doula Services

$25 - $35 per hour with a 4 hour minimum

Labor Doula

During certification process: reimbursement of transportation and food expenses, usually between $50 - $75.

After certification: $400 - $700. Includes 3 prenatal visits (if time allows), full labor and delivery support, 1 postpartum visit


Want to Learn More?

For a lot of people, the concept of a Doula is a very new thing. Now that women often don't have built-in family support, a Doula can really fill the gap for the new family by providing knowledge, compassion and practical support during this very important childbearing year.

If you'd like to learn more about what I do and the services I offer, please leave a comment to this post (it will remain unpublished).

No comments: